History of Center
The James M. Cox Jr. Center for International Mass Communication Training and Research began operations in 1985, with the approval of Dr. Fred Davison, President of the University of Georgia. In 1990, the Center was named for the late James M. Cox, Jr., chairman of the board of Cox Enterprises and a major figure in the communications industry in the United States in the twentieth century.
Since 1990, the Cox Center has been supported by annual contributions of the Jim Cox Jr. Foundation of Atlanta as a living memorial to James M. Cox, Jr.
The Cox Center is a unit of the Henry W. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Georgia. The Grady College is one of the oldest and most respected journalism schools in the United States and is fully accredited. The University of Georgia is the country's oldest land-grant institution, chartered in 1785.
Since its inception, the Center has conducted more than 130 training programs involving countries all over the world, published more than 30 research and technical reports, and conducted research on a variety of topics related to the practice of journalism around the world.
The Cox Center also is the home of the Annual Surveys of Journalism & Mass Communication, which provide data on the U.S. journalism labor market.
The Cox Center was created through the initiative of Dr. Al Hester, who served as director emeritus of the Center. Dr. Hester was director of the Center until his retirement from the University of Georgia in 1997.
Dr. Lee B. Becker served as director of the Cox Center from the autumn of 1997 through June of 2017.
Dr. Tudor Vlad became the director for the Cox Center in July 2017.